Corey I thought you did a fine job. You had a great audience presence. You connected well with the audience. You used movement well. You used pauses well. There was no noticeable trailing off of the voice as we heard last time. You kept our attention for the entire time. You provided a good mix of humor and sober realities. Your illustration at the end was compelling in terms of demonstrating that Jesus works for transformation. Katie's support was powerful.
It was not clear to me the role the three tools played in your transformation process. Also, these big three are repeated a lot by all preachers. We need to be careful that we don't play this trump card too many times a year. I suspect that there are some out there that would say - I do regular Bible study / I do regular prayer / I am part of a small group and attend church regularly. But I still don't change in this area. How can I appropriate the grace that has appeared? More practical examples of that would have moved this from good to great.
I also thought that the list of scriptures that you went through towards the end did not add anything to your message (the ones not on the handout).
Looking back at the handout - I am not sure that all of those scriptures particularly added to your case. Some did (the case for the tools). But I am not convinced that we need to "source" all of our scriptures. It is okay to say - the Bible is very clear about the role of prayer / study of the word / fellowship in transforming. An illustration of each would (IMHO) be more effective.
Also, there were times that you were speaking way too fast for me. I know young people do this - but some of us are "slow listeners"
Bless you for all of your hard work on this.
I will strongly affirm your continued presence on the preaching team short list.
Corey
ReplyDeleteI thought you did a fine job. You had a great audience presence. You connected well with the audience. You used movement well. You used pauses well. There was no noticeable trailing off of the voice as we heard last time. You kept our attention for the entire time. You provided a good mix of humor and sober realities. Your illustration at the end was compelling in terms of demonstrating that Jesus works for transformation. Katie's support was powerful.
It was not clear to me the role the three tools played in your transformation process. Also, these big three are repeated a lot by all preachers. We need to be careful that we don't play this trump card too many times a year. I suspect that there are some out there that would say - I do regular Bible study / I do regular prayer / I am part of a small group and attend church regularly. But I still don't change in this area. How can I appropriate the grace that has appeared? More practical examples of that would have moved this from good to great.
I also thought that the list of scriptures that you went through towards the end did not add anything to your message (the ones not on the handout).
Looking back at the handout - I am not sure that all of those scriptures particularly added to your case. Some did (the case for the tools). But I am not convinced that we need to "source" all of our scriptures. It is okay to say - the Bible is very clear about the role of prayer / study of the word / fellowship in transforming. An illustration of each would (IMHO) be more effective.
Also, there were times that you were speaking way too fast for me. I know young people do this - but some of us are "slow listeners"
Bless you for all of your hard work on this.
I will strongly affirm your continued presence on the preaching team short list.